HCC Reviews - August 2016
EPSON's Bright HDMI + Wireless Home Theatre / Cinema Projector is the EH-TW 6600W
Epson added a powerful new lens shift function to their Super Bright Home Theatre projector, this makes Epson's EH-TW6600W as nimble as you'll need so you can place it in almost any reasonable location within the room.
The Epson EH TW6600W is a projector you can easily move from room to room.
Wireless projectors are ideal for moving around so long as you know there are limitations, turn on the microwave and we can almost guarantee the picture will flicker.
If you're installing a projector in a purpose designed Theatre room then HDMI is the best way to go.
The Epson EH TW6600W naturally supports HDMI as well as wireless so you have options.
Like all 3-LCD projectors that are time proven for cinema and gaming use there was not much that needed changing apart from some fine tuning of the 3D experience.
Unlike early organic LCD engines Epson use high temperature poly-silicon (HTPS) panel technology incorporating an inorganic alignment layer. This long lasting technology offers vastly improved contrast, superb alignment and enhanced reproduction of dark colours (capable of reproducing jet black).
UPDATE SOME RETAILERS ARE OFFERING A FREE LONGHORN 4000 PRO FULL LCD REMOTE WORTH $199 WITH THE TW6600W.
Be sure that's what you're getting as it's a great remote and makes a fantastic gift.
Don't just take our word for it!
"..Overall, I consider the Epson EH-TW6600W a thoroughly entertaining home cinema projector. It's easy to set up and well-specified for the £1,700 price – without the HDMI wireless transmitter it represents particularly terrific value, so check to see if you can run a cable from your AV receiver to the PJ before splashing out. And boasting rich hues and big dynamics, it makes the most of a wide variety of content.
Its main competition is the more affordable Optoma HD50, which isn't as well built, and the more expensive Sony VPL-HW40ES which lacks a 12V trigger. Consequently, it comes highly recommended.."
EPSON's New EH-TW 6600W projector with Lens Shift
The addition of Lens Shift means you could mount the TW6600W other than directly in front of your projection screen.
Lens shift means you could sit the projector on a book case or table.
- Amazing Colour Brightness – 2,500 Lumens colour brightness and 2,500 Lumens white brightness.
- A True Cinematic Experience – 2D and 3D, Full HD 1080p technology, and a contrast ratio up to 70,000:1.
- Lens Shift – Lens shift technology enables outstanding installation flexibility with an incredible range of up to ±60% on the vertical axis and up to ±24% on the horizontal axis.
- Mobile High-Definition Link (MHL) – Simply connect your MHL compatible smart device to with an MHL cable to enjoy content from your smartphone or tablet, including movies, games and more.
- Wide Ranging Connectivity – Connect to virtually any device, making your entertainment more accessible .
- 2D-to-3D Conversion –Easily transform 2D images to spectacular 3D for unlimited 3D content.
- Picture in Picture – Display content from two inputs simultaneously, on a single screen
- Easy Setup – Image adjustment tools included.
- Captivating Sound – Two built-in 10 W stereo speakers for lifelike sound.
- Exciting 3D Made Easy – Two pairs of RF 3D glasses included.
- Auto Colour Optimizer – By sending ambient light, the colour mode is selected automatically, allowing you to always enjoy the best settings.
- In the example below you can see how some smart image manipulation can make a 2D image seem like it's 3D.
* See Are you "DLP Sensitive" review at Ausmedia.
- The EH- TW6600W projects Full HD content wirelessly - even from non-wireless devices, which can be connected using the included wireless HD transmitter.
-- This reduces the number of cables needed, making installation easier and tidier.
- 2D HD content can be converted to 3D at the touch of a button, while automatic colour optimisation, 3D depth adjustment and super-resolution technology further enhance the viewing experience.
- Epson’s 3LCD technology and an equally high White and Colour Light Output of up to 2,300 lumens ensure colours are lifelike and every detail is accurately reproduced.
Here's a UK review on the TW6600W
"Overall, I consider the Epson EH-TW6600W a thoroughly entertaining home cinema projector. It's easy to set up and well-specified for the £1,700 price – without the HDMI wireless transmitter it represents particularly terrific value, so check to see if you can run a cable from your AV receiver to the PJ before splashing out. And boasting rich hues and big dynamics, it makes the most of a wide variety of content."
Note Lens Shift control on top RHS.
Super High (full on/off*) Contrast Ratio.
A bit misleading but they all seem to do it!
For starters most 3D glasses are capable of around 1,000:1 CR. This takes nothing away from the projectors, the limiting factor is your eyes and source material not the PJ's hardware.
*Dynamic mode, never used in serious home cinema.
EPSON made a meal of it with the TW5900 they claimed the specifications were so bad almost nobody in AU purchased them.
The CON-trast ratio fudging is insulting to people that know what they are talking about, now the Genie is out of the bottle and all 3-LCD makers use this puffery there is no going back.
In the image below the two greys are the same, point being it's what's around the projector in terms of ambient light that really important and the thing you need most when viewing in less than optimal conditions is brightness.
- Wireless versions are White Case, non-wireless Black Case.
(TW 6600W projector above)
Specifications & Inclusions are subject to change without notice. E. & O.E
|PRODUCT NAME||Epson EH-TW6600W|
|WHAT'S IN THE BOX|
|EH-TW6600 Projector, Power Cable, Remote Control + Batteries, 3D Glasses + USB cable for charging x 2, User Manual|
|Projection System||RGB liquid crystal shutter projection system|
|LCD Panel||0.61-inch wide panel with MLA (D9.8, C2Fine, 12Bit)|
|Zoom||1-1.6 (Optical Zoom)|
|Screen Size||30" to 300" [0.87 to 8.9m] (Zoom: Wide)
30" to 300" [1.42 to 14.5m] (Zoom: Tele)
|Projection Distance||100" screen 2.95 - 4.8 m|
|Throw Ratio||1.32 (Zoom: Wide), 2.15 (Zoom: Tele)|
|Projection Lens F Number||1.51-1.99|
|Projection Lens Focal Length||18.2mm-29.2mm|
|Colour Light Output||2,500 Lumens|
|White Light Output||2,500 Lumens|
|Native Aspect Ratio||16:9|
|Lamp Type||230 W UHE|
|Colour Reproduction||Up to 1.07 billion colours|
|Colour Processing||10 bit|
|Keystone Correction||Vertical : -30 to +30 degrees
Horizontal: -30 to +30 degrees
|Lens Shift||Vertical: -60% to +60%
Horizontal: -24% to +24%
|Input: Video||1 x RCA (Yellow), 1 x Component Video|
|Input: Computer||1 x D-sub 15-pin (RGB)|
|Input: Digital||2 x HDMI (1 x MHL)|
|Input: USB||1 x USB A (Photo Viewer)|
|Input: Control||1 x RS232C|
|3D Formats||Top-and-Bottom, Side-by-Side, Frame Packaging|
|2D to 3D Conversion||Off / Weak / Medium / Strong|
|Internal Speakers||2 x 10W|
|Direct Power On||Yes|
|Security||Kensington®-style lock provision|
|Colour Modes||2D: Dynamic, Living room, Natural, Cinema, Auto
3D: 3D Dynamic, 3D Cinema
|Dimensions D x W x H||304 × 410 × 157 mm|
|Lamp Warranty||12 months or 750 hours*|
|Projector Warranty||2 Years|
|Power Consumption: Lamp on||366W|
|Power Consumption: Standby||0.43W|
|Noise Level||Normal/Eco: 32/24 dB|
|* Which ever comes first. For more information visit Epson Projector Warranty|
Epson is the most recognized multimedia projector brand in the industry, according to the recent TFCinfo Projector Brand Customer Perception and Preference Study 2015 that analyses all aspects of projector brand strength, from business to entertainment. Experienced projector users and purchasers named Epson as the top brand associated with excellent image quality, ease of use and customer service support.
- “Based on this most recent report, Epson projectors are viewed as both a value and a high quality investment, making Epson one of the most recognized, most used and most desired projector brands overall,” said Tanya Lippke, director survey market research-editor, TFCinfo.
- The 14th annual projector brand benchmarking study measures projector brand strength through awareness, image and intent among experienced projector users and purchasers across the five most important market segments in the AV industry – large corporations, small and medium businesses, small office and home users, education, and government. Following are additional findings from the study:
- Epson is viewed as a quality brand that is reliable, delivers excellent image quality, ease of use, value, and is backed by excellent service
- Image quality is the most important brand affinity attribute and Epson was the most correlated projector brand to image quality; in addition color brightness is the most important component of image quality
- Epson is the most widely used brand in the education market and nearly half of all respondents surveyed state they would always consider Epson for purchase
- Epson is the most considered brand for purchase overall, with 40 percent of respondents saying they would always consider Epson
Gray Market Sellers are everywhere
If some shops are vague about the warranty "All items come with 2 years" etc. it pays to check if Epson Australia are actually doing the warranty.
-- Probably Gray Market.
Ask them if you buy can you register with Epson and get an extended warranty as you can when you buy from ANY links on HCC. Failure to check this means if they go so does your warranty (such as it is) whereas Epson have a great reputation partly because of the service the offer if things go wrong.